What to Wear for your Vail Beaver Creek Headshot Photography
• Keep in mind that clothes are not as important as you think since most people will be looking at the expression over anything else
• Simple clothing is best
• Always bring clothes that match the style and personality you are trying to convey.
• Layers such as blazers, sweaters, etc are good to have as options
• Colors near skin tones are not recommended
• Avoid white outer layer if background will be white or grey
• Avoid all black clothes or white clothes, they tend to lose detail in some photographs.
• Stay away from clothes with busy patterns. Solid colors are best.
• Make sure any clothes that you bring are clean and neatly pressed. This goes double for collared shirts and suits. The camera picks up a lot more detail than you think.
• If appropriate for the look, blue jeans always look great on camera, unless they are dingy and torn. For headshots your lower half won't make it in to most of the pictures, but don't neglect to pick out some good pants for the shoot.
• Be rested and drink plenty of water the day before your session, it is amazing for your skin.
• Don't bring any jewelry or props beyond simple studs for earings and a simple necklace that compliments a specific shirt’s neckline; the shoot is all about you, not accessories.
Specific tips for Women
Covered shoulders are always more flattering, unless you are trying to show off your arms, in which case, sleeveless can rock!
AVOID HORIZONTAL STRIPES; They have a widening effect.
V-necks and U-necks look better than traditional collars
Floppy necklined tops can be tricky; be sure to bring an alternative
Buttondowns and crewnecks should be avoided unless you have a long neck
In most situations, fitted tops look better than loose fitting clothing
Do a crossed arms test with everything you want to wear; if you can't cross your arms comfortably without the shoulders riding up, leave it at home
Specific portrait tips for men
Formal portraits call for darker clothes. Lighter colors are generally better for informal portraits and engagement sessions
Avoid wearing a jacket that is much lighter that what you're wearing underneath
If it's your style, crewneck sweaters look great on guys